How to protect yourself
18 Mar 2020
COVID-19 or Coronavirus, like the flu, can be spread from person to person. It’s important to be informed and know how to protect yourself, and your family, and to slow the spread.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or alcohol based hand rubs
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or flexed elbow when coughing and sneezing
- Put used tissues in the bin or a bag immediately
- Avoid contact with anyone who is unwell – try to stay 1.5 metres away from anyone coughing or sneezing
- Avoid touching your face, nose and mouth
- Practice social distancing and avoid shaking hands, hugging, kissing or practising hongi – use the Kiwi classic ‘East Coast Wave’ instead
- Stay home if you are feeling unwell
- If you have symptoms call Healthline on 0800 358 5453 for advice
Also remember at this time of uncertainty to be kind and patient to one another. Be compassionate. Check in on elderly or fragile neighbours, make sure friends & whānau are OK and offer assistance to those who may need it.
For more information visit: